If you are feeling overwhelmed with all of the email in your inbox, try some of these tips. Google is constantly changing to improve our mail experience.
- By enabling and using keyboard shortcuts, you can manage your inbox more quickly than using a mouse.
- Turning on conversation view arranges the replies and forwards of an email into a threaded "conversation" taking up less space in your inbox. Google Doc
- The default inbox display groups messages into tabs based on their type.
- With the Chrome web browser, press Shift+C to compose a new message in a new window (you can also press Shift while clicking on Compose button). Use this to keep open the more urgent messages while cleaning up your inbox.
- Set up filters to automatically apply labels to current and incoming messages, even have them bypass the inbox.
- Hongkiat.com put together a list of 18 Helpful Tools for Better Gmail Experience. The browser extensions mentioned on the site are NOT covered by our contract with Google and not supported by the U-M Google team, but you may find them helpful.
- With the canned responses lab, you can save email content, like making an email template, and add it to new messages by selecting it from a drop-down menu.