Updated Jan 23: Google has not yet provided UMICH with the ability to activate this feature so it has been delayed. We will post an actual activation date when it becomes available.
This feature will roll out to UMICH users on Monday, January 20.
If you’re a Google+ user, you will soon be able to use M+Google to email your connections in Google+ even if you don’t have their email addresses. As you type in the name of the person in the message To field, Mail will automatically include your Google+ connections as suggested recipients. If you choose, you can allow others to contact you in the same way. Your email address isn't visible to a Google+ connection unless you send that person an email, and likewise, that person’s email address isn’t visible to you unless they send you an email.
Emailing Google+ connections also takes advantage of Mail's new inbox categories. When someone in your circles emails you, the email will appear in the Primary category. But if you don't have them in your circles, it will be filtered into the Social category (if enabled) and they'll only be able start another conversation with you if you respond or add them to your circles.
If you use Google+, you can receive emails from other Google+ users. NOTE: The default setting is to allow anyone on Google+ to contact you. You can control who can email you via Google+ by changing your settings.
- Open M+Google Mail on your computer, click the gear in the top right and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the Email via Google+ section (stay in the "General" tab).
- Click the drop-down menu and choose one of the options.
From someone in your circles
Someone who you’ve added to your circles can send you a regular email. These emails will appear in your Primary category if you use inbox categories.
From someone you haven’t added to your circles
You can receive an email from someone who is not in one of your circles. An email from someone you haven’t added to circles will be filtered into your Social category if you use inbox categories. You can decide whether you want to receive future emails from that person:
- To continue receiving emails from that person, reply to the email or click Add to circles.
- To block emails from that person, click the Report Spam or Abuse link in the email.
- If you ignore the email, the person won’t be able to invite you to any new conversations, but they could reply to their original message. To avoid these replies, click the Report Spam or Abuse link in the message.
There are extra safeguards and protections for this type of message. If you do get an unwanted message, just click the Report Spam or Abuse link in the email.