This weekend, M+Google Team enabled the Preview features for the new Google+ Hangouts for all university users, except those who have selected to only have “Core-only” services. You can opt-in to the new Hangouts experience by selecting it from the Chat gadget in your M+Google Mail.
Enabling the new Hangouts will resolve the following issues:
- You will be able to log in to the new Hangout mobile apps (Android and iOS) with your M+Google account.
- You will be able sign into Hangouts from your Google+ Stream.
Please be aware of the following known issues with this change:
- Autocomplete will pull names from all Hangout users, NOT just U-M users.
- The new Hangouts experience is not covered by U-M’s agreement with Google at this time. Sensitive data should NOT be sent or shared using Hangouts or Google+ (http://safecomputing.umich.edu/dataguide/?q=node/71).
- If you are still using the original Chat experience in the browser, but are also signed into the new Hangouts app, you get a message saying you cannot go invisible (see screenshot below). This is true for both the iOS and Android versions. Signing out of the app lets you go back to being invisible.
Learn more about the new Hangouts experience and read our previous post.