posted Dec 1, 2015, 10:12 AM by Jennifer Mruk
Core Apps: Mail, Calendar, Talk/Hangouts, Drive, Sites, and Contacts
Smarter Sorting in Google Drive 'Recent' view on the web: Google is releasing changes to the 'Recent' view in Drive that includes removing the current sorting drop-down options (‘Last modified,’ ‘Last modified by me,’ and ‘Last opened by me’) and replaces them with a more "dynamically-generated" view based on the actions of the user.
Drag and drop files directly into folders in Google Drive: When on the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox on the web, users can now drag and drop files from their desktop directly into Drive folders or subfolders.
Enhanced commenting, charts, and font functionality in Google Docs and Sheets apps for Android: Collaborators can more easily work together when on the go as they are now able to do the following from their Android mobile device:
- Add new comments and reply to existing comments.
- See comments and suggestions in Print Layout view with the ability to resolve, close, accept, or reject comments and suggestions.
- Improved functions when creating and editing charts in the Sheets app for Android:
- Automatically expands data selections to include immediately surrounding cells when users select a single cell or insert a chart.
- When a new chart is created, users will now see three recommended chart types based on the data they select.
- Users can view more than 400 new fonts added to Sheets on the web when they download the latest version of the Sheets app for Android.
- Find missing emails more easily in Gmail: Gmail will now search in both the Trash and Spam folders when searching for a missing email. If a match is found, a footer at the bottom of the search results will indicate the match and direct the user to view the message. Gmail will also display a different footer if a search query is too general to return something useful in the search results.
- Guest access to Hangouts video calls without a Google account: Guests no longer need a Google account to join a Hangouts video call. Guests without a Google account who have been provided with a video call link by the organizer will be asked to provide their name and request to join the call. Any attendee from the domain organizing the video call can allow the guest to enter the meeting.
Non-Core Apps: Additional applications that are not Core
- A simpler, better Google+: Google has rolled out updates to Google+ that include:
- New redesigned home stream built to be both fast and simple when going through content on the desktop or mobile device.
- Domain-restricted Communities for organizations to share content and ideas amongst teammates privately.
- Collections that help keep all related content in one place, making it easier to browse.
- New version (v3.8) of Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GASMO) now available: The latest version of GASMO, which supports Office 2016 and Windows 10, is now available for download. Auto-updates for existing GASMO users will start in the coming days.
NOTE: Keep in mind that even when non-core apps are found in a core app (like Google Drive), they are not covered by the Google Apps for Education agreement.