We will provide daily updates after each major phase of the project until technical issues and support issues return to a moderate level. Pilot 2.0 (SNRE) occurred this past weekend. This email summarizes the pilot after the first business day of operation.
- 148 staff and faculty from School of Natural Resource and the Environent.
- Messages succeeded/attempted: 1,949,622 / 1,950,164 (99.97%)
- Migration began at 8:00 pm Friday night and was complete by 4:19 am Saturday morning.
The dedicated Google Transition Desk (734-764-HELP / 4HELP@umich.edu
) was activated for the SNRE Go-Live. Except for two submitted at the end of the day, these tickets were closed on Day 1. The number of tickets were divided into:
- Login questions: 4
- Pre-migration questions: 3
- Emeritus/Retiree questions: 3
- General usage: 4
Only two of these tickets were submitted by SNRE - one login and one general usage question.
Student Google Guides and Project Team members were on-site at the Dana building from 9:00 am until 4:00 pm. The number of on-site support personnel ranged from 7 to 10 during this time. Project Team members visited the off-site Graham Environmental Sustainability Institute in the afternoon to provide assistance to the faculty and staff at this location. A total of seventy-four (74) faculty and staff were provided assistance. The breakdown of the support included:
- Email: 53
- Calendar: 22
- Mobile device set-up: 43
- Collaboration tools: 0
- Calendar and email delegation was set-up for two Associate Deans with their Administrative Assistant. The mobile devices for the Dean were also set-up. Calendar and email delegation support is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon with the Dean and her Administrative Assistant.
- The Student Google Guides and Project Team members are reporting their daily encounters with SNRE faculty and staff on a Google Form. Included on this form is feedback from faculty and staff. This information will be used to improve training and documentation needs for future migrations.
- During the migration activities, the SNRE IT Staff provided assistance with the departmental mailbox migration. On Day 1, the SNRE IT Staff provided support for those faculty and staff that did not contact the Google Transition Desk in addition to directing faculty and staff to the on-site Student Google Guides. Additional effort was required to set-up shared mailboxes, shared calendars, and department resource calendars.
- Calendar migration took much longer than anticipated. Corrective Action: Need to develop new schedule for future migrations to take this into account.
- The SNRE resource calendars were complex. Additional effort was required for the SNRE IT staff to set-up these calendars. Corrective Action: Improve planning in pre-migration meetings.
- New hires after migration started were not able to migrate. Corrective Action: TBD.
- One user’s Exchange mail did not migrate. Corrective Action: Additional analysis is being conducted regarding this issue.
- Google was difficult to set-up on Android devices. Corrective Action: Develop more detailed documentation on Android set-up.
- Since the are no major open issues, we won't send any daily bulletins for Pilot 2.0 (SNRE). The next daily bulletin will be sent Monday, February 27 when Pilot 2.0 continues with the migration of ITS staff (and many early migrators from other units).