posted Oct 1, 2015, 10:53 AM by Jennifer Mruk
Core Apps: Mail, Calendar, Talk/Hangouts, Drive, Sites, and Contacts
- Upcoming Change to Google Calendar: Google is increasing security by changing the main Google Calendar URL from 'www.google.com/calendar' to 'calendar.google.com.' As the previous Calendar URL will redirect to the new URL, impact on users will be minimal. Please note:
- Some Chrome extensions that depend on the old calendar URL may not work properly if not updated by their developers.
- Users that have enabled Gentle notifications will need to grant Calendar permissions again for this feature to work.
- Apps users parsing the old Calendar URL structure for any custom tools are advised to update to reference the new URL.
- Download embedded emails in a message in Gmail: Some third-party email clients can embed a whole message as an attachment. With Google's latest launch, messages in which the original content was set as an attachment can now be viewed both inline and as a downloadable attachment. Note that this new functionality works only for new messages.
- Multi-select files for use, quick sharing and more with the latest version of the Google Drive iOS app: The latest version of the Google Drive iOS is being released. New features include:
- Ability to select multiple files to keep offline, star, or organize
- Share, rename, or view the details of a file more quickly
- Performance improvements
- Block and Unsubscribe in Gmail: Google is launching a new Block feature in the Gmail app on Andriod and the web. Future mail from blocked email addressed will be sent directly to Spam. The Unsubscribe option will now be available in the Andriod app.
- Presenting on the go and charts made easy in the Google Slides and Sheets Android Apps: With this launch for Google Slides Android app, users can change and preview slides from their phone's lock screen and toggle between a presentation and a video Hangout. This launch also allows Slides Android Apps users to switch to video when presenting to Hangouts. Google Sheets Andriod app users are now able to insert charts and change the chart type from their Andriod app.
Non-Core Apps: Additional applications that are not Core
NOTE: Keep in mind that even when non-core apps are found in a core app (like Google Drive), they are not covered by the Google Apps for Education agreement.